Pinterest Challenge - September 2011

A couple of weeks ago I was really stuck creatively. I knew what was causing it but I just couldn't seem to get past it. I felt like I had a dam of debris building up in my inner psyche that wouldn't let anything else get by it. Oh boy was it annoying. And not just annoying but also sort of debilitating. I couldn't finish my film. I mean, the film is done, but I was re-working the beginning and just felt like my brain was empty. I could hardly even TRY anything with the edit so it was really frustrating. Add to that that my only working *moments* were when HOPEFULLY both kids were napping (or at least somewhat occupied, Dahlia...) so I could get my thoughts together to even start. And a lot of days that just didn't happen. Plus I was up against a deadline.
During this time, I did quite a lot of browsing on Pinterest. Drooling over all sorts of really cool, crafty, artistic creations. Dreaming of what I should decorate my house with. Wishing, quite frankly, that I had more money to make some of the things a reality. Longing for a sun-filled workshop that was ALL MINE (the sign should read: Mommy's Special Workshop - No Kids or Husbands Allowed!) and the time and energy to actually finish something. I finally started to feel this pull. The pull to create, to make. This Post came out of this time. But although I was starting to have my creativity stirred by other things, I simply couldn't DO them because the film was hanging over my head. But then one night - I was probably complaining about being 'stuck' on Facebook and my, let's call her my cousin-in-law, Michelle, said - okay - here's a challenge (lord knows, I can't turn down a challenge!). We each will pick one thing from each other's Pinterest that we have to make in the month of September. I will pick for you, you pick for me. And Voila! We did it. And suddenly I had a different deadline. A fun deadline. I crafty deadline. It seemed to work. She picked for me the magazine bowl which I've been wanting to make for a long time, well, since Memorial Day weekend, anyway, because I think they look really cool. And boy do I have a lot of magazines. I picked for her some mason jar candle lanterns. Lucky for me I had started tearing apart a magazine (therapeutic in it's own way) earlier so I was able to jump right in. I think I had also made the base of a bowl. But now I had the "permission" to finish it! And I did. I ended up taking it to Stitch & Bitch one week so that I could get it done. And it's done!
Granted, the bowl has been finished for 2 weeks now, but I JUST got around to applying the varnish today, um, like 10 minutes ago. But hey - I'm all about setting & reaching goals this autumn so yay me! I have fantasies of a (super-successful!) Etsy shop in which I sell things like the likes of my magazine bowl. Because as cool as I think it is, I'm not sure what I'll do with it. I did learn a few things along the way... I should always put newspaper down when I'm working on something on the kitchen table; I should be a little more careful with hot glue - one because my bowl is a little messier than I would like it to be, and two because my fingers got lots of burns on them during this project. Something beautiful can be made out of something really simple that most people toss aside (I knew this one already...). I really like being challenged & having deadlines.
So there you have it - the Pinterest Challenge! I think it should live on - any takers? Oh and I DID finish the movie. Finally all the crap in my head pushed aside & it was like a magical flood gate of thoughts, ideas, creativity - storming through. I fixed a few things, I tried a few things, I figured a few things out. I stood my ground. I let my producing partner add/tweak a few more things & we made the Sundance deadline (well, late deadline anyway...). So, Thanks Michelle for helping clear the way! I'd love to take you out for a glass of wine sometime! If only Denver wasn't so far from Duluth!

Comments

Unknown said…
Coming from a Pinterest addict I think you did an awesome job on that bowl. Great post.
Anonymous said…
Yay! That is an awesome bowl! I need to clean up my pins some, but I'll totally do another challenge. It's wonderful to have a deadline that is something other than "Vacuum by Friday."

Cuz Michelle :)
Sarita said…
That is so awesome! The bowl, and the fact that permission to do something fun, led to productivity on the thing you needed to do.
[LJT] said…
Love the bowl! I would love to do a Pinterest challenge but I have zero crafting/creative skills. Zilch. It would definitely be a challenge. It would probably lead to a wine drinking challenge. Actually, that sounds kind of fun...
love the bowl, it's beautiful :-)
feisty said…
Congrats on finishing the movie, and on the sweet new bowl. Looks cool!

Popular posts from this blog

I should've done this a year ago....

Penguin Shenanigans

I figured it out....