Saturday, February 25, 2006
I think it's coming around though (inspiration, that is....)
Four Jobs I've Had in My Life
1. Actor - for a Repertory Theatre Company in Ohio. We did four shows in Rep and it was the best time of my life (work wise!).
2. Sandwich Maker, Latte Steamer & Ice Cream Scooper at "Sweetcakes" bakery. Loved working there, unfortunately after only a month the sewer system baked up and flooded the place and that was the end of Sweetcakes.
3. Receptionist at the American Indian Learning Resource Center (yes, that's how I had to answer the phone!) at UMD.
4. Radio DJ
Movies I'd Watch Over & Over
1. About a Boy
3. Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery
4. Pretty In Pink
(Bottlerocket, Rushmore, Monsters Inc, Moulin Rouge, All the President's Men, Requiem for a Dream, The Limey, The Big Lebowski, Fargo, The Incredibles, Pretty Woman, The 5th Element, The Man Who Knew Too Little, etc etc etc....)
Four Places I've Lived
1. Austin, MN (Spamtown, USA)
2. Hollywood, CA
3. Duluth, MN
4. Findlay, OH
Four TV Shows I Like To Watch
1. The Apprentice
3. Martha Stewart
4. The Sopranos
Four Favorite Places I've Been on Vacation
1. Playa del Carmen, Mexico
2. The Pacific Northwest (Portland, OR coast, WA coast, Mt. St. Helen's, Mt. Rainier)
3. Yellowstone National Park
4. Rome/Pisa, Italy
Four Websites I Visit Daily
1. The R***** Family Messsage Board (yes, we have our own message board)
4. My Yahoo
Four Favorite Foods
1. Macaroni & Cheese (virtually any kind - Kraft, homemade, deli, etc)
2. Ice cream
3. Edamame - shelled or no...doesn't matter
4. Pork Chop Potato Bake
Four Places I'd Rather Be Right Now
1. On a tropical beach sitting in the sun (or under an umbrella) reading a good book and playing in the surf with my honey.
2. Hiking a gorgeous trail
3. Canoeing in the Boundary Waters (in the summer, of course)
4. Hanging out with my family.
Four People I would Like to Tag...divided by two...
1. Future Poltergeist (of course)
Sunday, February 19, 2006
Thursday, February 16, 2006
Tonight I made beef stew (well, it's been in the crock pot all day) and the smell is teasing me! Yum.
I am going to go to J's tonight to finish up a few more dvd/movie things. There's STILL TIME TO DONATE if you're interested in supporting the independent film world. heh.
That's about it. Tomorrow's Friday. Thank god.
Wednesday, February 15, 2006
Okay – it’s been a while so here are some updates:
- Steve’s Dad suffered a pretty major stroke last Friday afternoon while driving his car. Luckily he was in a quiet, residential area and although he did get into an accident it was quite minor (he hit a parked car). He was brought to St. Mary’s in
by ambulance as he was unresponsive. Duluth
- The stroke affected the left side of his brain – which controls communications (speech, reading, comprehension) and also his right side….which is his dominant side (he’s right-handed).
- He is alert & seems to be in okay spirits but is unable to communicate with us & we don’t know how much he is understanding of what we’re saying. He’s definitely getting some of it – names, people, some words, etc but not everything. He works daily with a speech therapist, a physical therapist and an occupational therapist. This will continue after he leaves the hospital and moves into the re-hab center.
- He needs to re-learn pretty much everything – how to live every day and do those small things that most of us never think about; he needs to re-learn how to speak & read, etc etc. He will most likely have surgery to put a stent in one of his carotid arteries but I don’t know when yet.
We brought Mindi (½ jack Russell, ½ rat terrier) down to visit him the other night. I think it’s AWESOME that you can bring your dog in to visit. I think Mindi will be very therapeutic for his dad. He laughed (!) for the first time when she came in the room – yay! And he also really enjoyed petting her and feeding her treats. I think those are good signs. J
It’s hard. It’s really hard on Steve & his siblings. It’s hard on his girlfriend. It’s hard on everyone! We all just have to stick together and be positive and encouraging and support him and each other and take things one day at a time. It’s going to be a long journey.<>In other news….not much is going on. We had a “Valentine’s Dinner” last night- me, Steve, his brother and his Dad’s GF. I made chicken roll-ups (chicken breasts pounded flat, filled with french cut green beans & cheese, rolled up, covered in a creamy yummy sauce w/jasmine rice in the new rice cooker!). It was nice to all be together. There is some movie stuff to be taken care of – in fact – deadlines are looming so if you want to donate….DO SO NOW! We could use the final push. My brain isn’t in it all that much lately but I’m trying to keep up on my ‘to-do’ list and get a few things done. It’s hard to think about the movie & the wedding and things like that when so many other important things are happening. Perspectives & priorities have definitely shifted.>
So – that’s the update….I’ll keep you posted. As always – prayers, warm-fuzzy-universe-vibes, well-wishes, good thoughts, or whatever else you can think of in a positive light are appreciated. I really do think they help.
Saturday, February 11, 2006
Thursday, February 02, 2006
There is a certain piece of music who's rights have been alluding us for the past, I dunno... 2 1/2 years? That we'd like to use in the film. For the opening titles. We've cut it in currently and I daily nag J about sending off a letter to the (now defunct) band in hopes that in the creative & indie spirit of things they'd let us use it for FREE (at least for festivals, submissions, etc). Well, time has passed. The elusive letter took about a year and a half for J to right and then on Wednesday I starting doing major sleuthing. Okay, it wasn't that major. Just a bit of googling but still. I had vowed that this WAS NOT my responsibility because I wanted to opt for a song that we already HAD the rights to. I digress.
We found out that in order to get our DVDs made (there's still time to help! Click here!) we had to prove we own everything (music, animation, etc) in the film to the people doing the duplicating. We have everything....except this ONE song. Well, I finally came across a CURRENT email address which didn't bounce back and started emailing with a band member yesterday! It was incredibly cool and he was incredibly nice and so far so good on getting the rights! It's owned by the band and we're sending a copy of the flick off to him so he can look it over and sign the release form...and then we're one step closer to SHRINK-WRAPPED DVD GLORY. *sigh*
I am so excited.