Martha & Me

For Christmas, my Mother-in-Law gave me this book that had been on my wishlist:

I was so excited! And had the perfect occassion to try it out. My Dad's 60th birthday is only a few days after Christmas and we were having a party for him the following weekend.

I decided to make the Ginger Chocolate cakes because 1) it seemed like a "special" cake (as one should have for celebrating 60 years!) and 2) it was ginger bread and we were still in between the holidays so I figured people would not think I was out of season by baking this. Oh and 3) I LOVE gingerbread.
It took me all morning to create the cakes & the ganache (and pack for the weekend).
I also had to run to a candy store to buy crystallized ginger (who knew they sell it at candy stores? Well, they do!)
I was quite pleased with how they turned out. The ganache frosting was easy to make (putzy but easy) but the recipe was WAAAAAAAAAAAAY too big for these 12 cakes and sadly a lot of it ended up getting tossed (after Steve & I ran out of ideas of what to dip in it). Most importantly the guest of honor & everyone enjoyed these cakes. I can't wait to bake more. Yum.....

Comments

K said…
Yummy!!! They look exactly like the picture Carrie - AMAZING! :) Your dad was lucky - my mom did not get anything so pretty for her 60th right BEFORE Christmas! :)
Test said…
Carrie,

Looks delish! Oddly enough being preggers hasn't brought on any strange cravings - just cravings when I see things like this. Yummy. I've got a gingerbread cake recipe at home that I think I need to make this weekend.

Cheers,
Holly
African Kelli said…
YUM! Did you love that book? I always find her recipes a bit too difficult. But the results are gorgeous. A huge kudo to you.
And how cute is your dad? You guys look alike!
carrster said…
Yes - I LOVE this book. It's pretty and is LOADED with tips and pictures of random kitchen "gear" that I've never heard of let alone know how to use. That part I really like - learning. It's like a text book (size wise) and that is appealing to the nerd in me. And the pictures are gorgeous. Tonight I'm making banana nut bread from this book. Reports tomorrow.....?

Popular posts from this blog

I should've done this a year ago....

Penguin Shenanigans

I figured it out....