Injection

Last night I gave myself my first insulin injection. I am a BIG wimp. The needle is BEYOND TINY. I was about a half-a-step a way from hyper-ventilating and working myself into a tear filled frenzy as I sat in the bathroom with my alcohol swabbed belly exposed, injection pen in hand and Steve encouraging me.

I knew it wasn't going to be a big deal but there is something about stabbing yourself with a needle that causes a mind/hand disconnect and I was frozen. Steve offered to do it for me, but I knew I would be alone mostly and would have to suck it up and do it then.

Finally after about 5 minutes of NOTHING I said, I can do it but you can't watch. So he left and I did it and it was nothing! The needles that they gave me are tiny. It hurts far less than prick #4 of the day for the BG testing. It goes in, you count to six while holding down the trigger, you take it out.

I had a tiny bit of blood and some itchiness afterwards but I think that's normal. This morning's injection (which kept me awake from about 4am til I got up - because I'm a dork) was equally as easy (different insulin) and didn't bleed or itch (much). I'm sure I'll get accustomed to it and I know it's for the best for Baby B and me so that makes it worth it.

Comments

Nanette said…
I'm glad you powered through it! I admire your courage! :)
Cellomama said…
I remember feeling the same way with my first fertility injection - lots of deep breaths, hands shaking so badly I could hardly hold the needle. A few months later I could do them at the dinner table with others and no one would notice.

So I guess, from my view, the anxiety is normal and I'm glad to hear teh actuality wasn't too terrible. One of the lifetime of maternal sacrifices ahead. :-)

Is there some good news? Do you get to eat more now?
kmd said…
Good job, Carrie!
Meigan said…
Congrats! Like Laurie said - did you get to eat something yummy because of it???

p.s. we're down to 6 (ANTM) - who are you cheering for?
carrster said…
eh - no word on eating more. I meet with the endocrinologist & dietician again next week so maybe I'll find out then. Sadly - my numbers aren't getting any lower with the insulin so I think I'll probably have have a higher dosage. Ugh. I think as Baby B gets bigger it'll get harder & harder for me to produce my own insulin. That little stinker! I think I'm getting better with the hunger issues though....a little...but I am seriously eating a whole bag of mini snicker bars, a huge plate of mac & cheese and a large glass of OJ once the little one comes home! Ah simple pleasures... :)
Test said…
way to go lady! you can do it!!

Popular posts from this blog

I should've done this a year ago....

Penguin Shenanigans

I figured it out....