The Longest Week Ever pt . 2

So....

they put a drain in my dad's head. Drilled through the skull and started draining blood and CSF (clear spinal fluid - I'm now a neurology professional if you didn't now...ahem...ya right). On Wednesday he was awake! Actually awake! And he knew us. All 27 of us who were there to visit and support him. He was a bit confused on things like who the president was (something I'd like to forget myself) and what year it was (2005/2006 is close) but mostly seemed "okay." At least better than the previous night. He calls the tube in his head his "plug."

Thursday he was better - more awake, more chatty, intiating conversations and HUNGRY. He ate several big meals. He didn't remember Wednesday AT ALL but knew that Dubya was president. AS the day went on though headaches returned...

Friday he was uncomfortable, confused (sometimes) and in pain. He was on morphine and percoset (probably spelling that wrong, I know) . He said some very sad and funny things. He even had a wee bit of sarcasm. More visitors.

Friday night my Mom didn't like the night nurse and almost duked it out with "Bill." I've never seen her so fired up or so worried about Dad. She didn't like leaving him with Bill. She made her opinion known and we didn't see Bill after that. My Dad said "I liked him. We got along just fine."

So - the weekend - 30 or so of us on Saturday, limited visitors on Sunday (just me, my sister & my Mom)...they were worried about the continued confusion and sleepiness.

Last night he was restless. Very restless. Tried to pull the tube out of his head. I mean, I can understand that. I wouldn't want a tube in my head either. Today the neurologist took it out and they're still watching him. More sleepiness & some confusion today (he is always thinking he's busy and going places.)

Hopefully he'll be out of ICU soon. I can't stand the thoughts that raced through my head last Tuesday. I can't believe how fast things can change and how important it is to always let loved ones know how you feel about them. Because you just never know what's around the corner.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I should've done this a year ago....

Penguin Shenanigans

I figured it out....