I just got finished reading this article in today's LA Times and man did it make me homesick for Los Angeles.

I lived in L.A. for about 5 1/2 years. From November of 1996 to July of 2002. Throughout that time I never fell in love with the city...in fact I mostly disliked living there. It's funny how time colors things in a different light. As I read about the different shops, strip malls, signs, crumbling cinemas and more in the article, it made me realize how precious every moment is wherever you are. Sure I hated the traffic, the insane number of cars on the road, the masses of people, the non-openness of strangers (hey I'm from the midwest - I'm used to FRIENDLY), the expensive apartments, the expensive groceries, gas, movie ticket prices, tax on clothes, food, etc...there are a lot of things I miss.

Having cocktails at Goldfingers - one of Hollywood's fine dives.

Not wearing a jacket...ever. Well, mostly ever...but no winter coats that's for sure.

My friends. God I miss them.

Halloween in LA

Getting ever so slightly caught up in the Hollywood hype.

Planting flowers in the actual SPRING as opposed to up here... in June.

Every cool music group came to LA.

Being exposed to lots and lots of different types of people - cultures, lifestyles, you name it.

Being an hour from the mountains and (depending on traffic) 30 minutes from the ocean.

God, my heart is absolutely aching - why do I miss it? I hated it!! Is it because I feel like I gave up on something? Lost my 20's there? Am missing out on what's happening now? I have no idea but at times like this I just don't even understand myself. It does make me yearn for a digital camera so I can start documenting the everydayness of Duluth so that when I move on I will be certain that I looked & cherished the details.

*sigh*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I should've done this a year ago....

Penguin Shenanigans

I figured it out....