RIP Beavis

 Beavis - May 1995 - December 11, 2011

Beavis - taken about a week before his death.
My heart is heavy this week as I had to say good bye to one of my long-time friends and constant companions. Beavis (Bociefus, aka "Tan Man") ended his journey with us on Sunday afternoon. After going downhill quickly in the past few months, there was nothing we could do for him. It was excruciating. He started really deteriorating quickly on Friday (he was already down to about 5lbs from his normal 12) and we were pretty sure the end was near...but he hung on. He wanted to be with us, he seemed to still like being petted, but by Saturday afternoon he pretty much stopped doing too much. It became hard for him to walk, his eyes began to look glazed, his spunk was definitely gone.

Early December 2011
Saturday night he could no longer walk. He tried. In fact he went into the back room on his own power & we were sure that was it. But it wasn't. It was heartbreaking. We didn't know what to do. We couldn't take him into the ER vet to put him to sleep because there was no one to come to our house to watch our kids, and while we *could* have each gone individually, that would've been way too hard.

Sunday morning he was still with us, but not moving. He only laid. He refused any food or water. I sat with him for hours stroking his fur & telling him how much I love him & how I'll miss him. He was in a clothes basket & I took him outside in the fresh air & sunshine for a bit...he seemed to enjoy sniffing, but after that he found it harder to get comfortable in the laundry basket.

Early afternoon came & we started trying to find someone to come over to babysit so we could take him in. It was so sad. Finally Steve's brother Paul agreed to come over & sit with the kiddos while we made the saddest journey ever.

I don't really want to talk about the actual "event" - it wasn't out of the ordinary, in fact I guess it went remarkably fast, but the whole experience was so gut-wrenching & traumatic that I don't really want to think about it.
Early December 2011

I keep "seeing" Beavis out of the corner of my eye - in the "meatloaf" position in the basement, curled up on our bed...but it's not him. He's gone. I'm a sad Mama.

Dahlia's doing okay - she says she  misses Beavis, but I don't think she gets it. She knows he went to heaven (but is flabbergasted about how he got there) but today asked if we were going to get to see him again. ("Not for a loooooong time, honey.). August, of course, is 100% clueless. He never did learn how to say "Beavis" - only Juno or "Nunooooo!).

Juno is sad. All day yesterday she wanted love & affection - something she's rarely asked for in her 2 years. She enjoyed being petted & loved up. I think she probably knew long before we did that Beavis was leaving. Cats just know these things. (and wow does she need to go on a diet! holy cats!0



So, rest in peace, my friend. You were with me my entire adult life - through the good, the bad & the ugly. Lived with me in at least 9 residences (!), moved across the country with me, enjoyed your "Hollywood years," had many friends (Mufasa, Winky, Iko) along the way....you lived a good, happy, long life & I will miss you.

Comments

Peder said…
Very sorry for you, Carrie.
DD4 said…
It's such a difficult time in our lives, loosing a loved one. The hole in our hearts feels as though it will never heal.

I'm so happy you have good memories of Beavis - and wonderful photos, too. May they bring you comfort.
Sniff, sniff :( he was a good kitty.
Kate said…
So sorry, Carrie. I dread the day for Kiki. I'm always certain the time is coming when Dax is licking her ears and cuddling with her - and they DON'T like to cuddle. She too, has borne witness to my adult life. So many memories. It's not just Beavis, it's all that you lived through WITH him that is grieving.s

Popular posts from this blog

I should've done this a year ago....

Penguin Shenanigans

I figured it out....