The Duck

Yesterday was not a good day for me. A crappy night of sleep (imagine that!) followed by my total & complete lack of patience for two very needy & clingy small people, coupled with a to-do list a mile long for August's upcoming birthday soiree (Saturday). Ugh. Errands to run, in the rain; making more than one stop with my entourage & did I mention my complete & total exhaustedness? Plus I've had this weird back thing going on which is very uncomfortable. A trip to the chiropractor is needed very soon!

Anyway- a highlight of my day...

We stopped at the post office to buy some ONE cent stamps so I could mail out another batch of riveting postcards (yeah, postcard stamps went up one cent. Hmph) & to mail a package to a friend. I went to the Mt. Royal post office which is closest to me & I really love. It's so...um..."down home" for lack of a better word. They always decorate to the nth degree for holidays; they use hand painted, wooden signs to tell us their names (or if they're closed), they're generally friendly very small town seeming. I like it. There's no CORPORATE post office feel (unlike the one on 27th Ave W - which I have made friends at as well... that'll happen when you bring your baby in every week for a year!).

After our transactions, the guy behind the counter informed me that April is poetry month & I would be the lucky recipient of a recited (by him) poem. On a day such as yesterday when everything was rush rush & go go go & I was already crabby, this could've made my head explode! But as I looked at my daughter calmly reading the books she brought along & my son entranced by a light fixture, I took pause, & just enjoyed. Here is the poem he read me. I hope it brightens your day.

The Duck
by Ogden Nash

Behold the duck.
It does not cluck.
A cluck it lacks.
It quacks.
It is specially fond
Of a puddle or pond.
When it dines or sups,
It bottoms ups.

Comments

Peder said…
That's lovely!
MamaD4 said…
I'd say he was your angel of the day...I hope it got a little better after that. Motherhood is truly the hardest task there is, isn't it?
Meigan said…
Well what a sweet story!!!!!!

And I got my cute postcard the day before we left - made me think of you a bunch during our hike.

Actually I was this close to calling you at 10 p.m. to hike in with some extra blankets & a hot totty.

You rock - don't forget it.
feisty said…
Poems? At the post office? Sweet!

Popular posts from this blog

I should've done this a year ago....

Penguin Shenanigans

I figured it out....