Thursday, October 29, 2009

Trying not to freak out

So as I was leaving Dahlia's daycare this morning, there was a sign on the door that says "we have one confirmed case & one suspected case of H1N1." Awesome. I talked to one of the teachers and she said this just came up yesterday. I'm trying not to allow myself to get swept up in a panic, but it's easy to do when people are shrieking about it everywhere. We've been very vigilant about hand washing & all that, but with toddlers, it's hard to keep toys & things out of their mouths. Ugh. I didn't know whether or not I should take her back home with me and say screw work...or if I should leave her there. I still don't know. I'm sitting here wondering if what I did was the right thing. My doctor told me they don't even want me 'caring' for anyone who becomes sick with the flu. Great! So what would I do? Go live somewhere else? That is heartbreaking on too many levels.

Time to inflate the bubble around our house, I think. I am sure we have enough supplies to last us til spring...well, I need to get more diet coke but other than that.....

5 comments:

gtr said...

My 2 cents: My daycare provider reported gastrointestinal stuff going around last Thursday, and I left Bean there all day..against my better judgement, but I had meetings... and then we all spent the weekend sick, sick, sick, sick!! Not fun. But not H1N1!!

I've been seeing emails around about using Neti pots and gargling with salt water to help prevent (for you, not toddlers), and also probably seeing that the biggest problem for pregnant women is later when your lungs are already compressed. So, if you did catch it now, it likely wouldn't be as serious as later down the road, right??

But think positive and good luck!!

Kate said...

Wash, wash, wash. That's all you can do. Hang in there.

feisty said...

freeking aye, that stinks. wash yoru hands a ton- invest in sanitizer. hopefully dahlia will avoid catching it. or she has a super-immune system to fight it off quickly if she does.

E isn't in daycare yet, but he's already had a cold. my theory is now babies are going to get sick no matter where they go or how vigilant you are. day care or not, it is a toss up.

still. no fair!

Anonymous said...

I would take her out until winter is over. Not worth the hassle.

juliemac_29 said...

I can't help with the decision of leaving her or not, but if you decide to cocoon, I know a guy who can hook you up with the Diet Coke - we'd just orchestrate drops on your doorstep after doing a full Silkwood style shower. It'll be all good.