Lemon Curd Cake


I always offer to bring dessert to my MIL's because it's what I *make best* (IMHO)and she's a great cook...and I suck at salads. This Easter was no different.
So I pulled out the Martha Stewart Baking Handbook to pick a recipe for Easter Sunday. I thought lemon would be springy and picked the Lemon Curd Cake. Read through - sounded easy! I'll be done in a snap!
Um, yeah. I spent 5 hours on Saturday making this cake. Well, more specifically the lemon CURD. This cake took forever. It also took more eggs, butter & sugar than I thought possible (16 yokes just for the curd!!!!!).
By time I finished the cake I didn't have time to frost the thing. So I made the frosting and refrigerated it for the night.
Well, long story short, when I went to frost the cake yesterday - the frosting separated (even though I followed the directions on how to get it back to a spreadable consistency), then I could get the paper cornet w/decorating tip to stay together to put the decorative curd on top. There were a few foul words bandied about but in the end, everyone enjoyed the cake and Easter dinner too!

Comments

Kate said…
Hehe. They all SOUND easy! I made Rachel Ray's Mac and Gouda with Cauliflower to take to our "family" deal yesterday. Now, when she made it on 30 minute meals, it didn't look that hard. Yeah. I'm just not so quick. Good thing I took Green Bean Casserole as well!
Meigan said…
Ok, I don't even like lemon desserts & this looks divine! Grating all that lemon - yush!
Whiskeymarie said…
That still looks delicious! If it makes you feel better, I'm a "professional" and sometimes find recipes that are supposed to be simple that turn out to be surprisingly difficult.

Popular posts from this blog

I should've done this a year ago....

Penguin Shenanigans

I figured it out....