The Graduate (1967)

I forgot how good this movie is. I haven't seen it in years and had gotten it from Netflix a couple months ago but couldn't get excited about watching it (+ having an newborn cuts into the movie-watching time).

I love the time this film takes. There's not a ton of plot and that doesn't matter. There are immensely long one-shots that meander here and there. Sometimes revealing a bigger picture, sometimes not. It also BREATHES. Long, deep, desperate breaths. This tone is set during the opening titles and is repeated throughout with montages or one-shots set to Simon & Garfunkel's music.

Another thing I love about films from this era (late 60's to late 70's) - if the room is dark, the shot's dark; if someone walks in front of the camera, so be it; it's so much more voyueristic and REAL feeling than a lot of films produced today. I love that quality a whole lot.

I hate writing reviews because I think I suck at it but there ya go. I really enjoyed watching this movie again.

(and the baby slept through the whole thing - whohoo!) ;)

Comments

Raesha D said…
The Graduate is one of my ALL time favorite movies. "Mrs. Robinson, you're trying to seduce me" "Plastics" "ELAINE".... oh man, I need to rent it. Heck, I need to just buy it.
Kate said…
I want pictures of the new 'do!
Deb said…
My hands-down favorite movie of all time!

Popular posts from this blog

I should've done this a year ago....

Penguin Shenanigans

I figured it out....