Things I've Learned: The First Week


1. You can never have *too many* burp cloths.

2. No matter how tired you are, somehow you will make it through each day and each night. (although I am still sort of dreading the nights right now).

3. There is a lot more crying than I'd expected - from me, not her.

4. Girls are very capable of spraying you with their pee, just like boys.

5. Just when you think you've outsmarted them by layering a towel over the clean diaper, they will poop immediately upon putting the new diaper on anyway.

6. Breastfeeding is hard.

7. I HAVE to spend time just looking at her and cuddling her and kissing her - I can't imagine not doing that for most of my day.

8. Some days (hours?) I will just feel like freaking out.

9. Having a husband who's been very wonderful and stepping up and tackling more of the household duties, rocks.

10. Crib Sheet Savers should be called "sanity savers."

11. She is the most precious thing I can imagine.

Comments

DD4 said…
Congratulations on the birth of your little angel - and just in time for Christmas. She is beautiful.
Sarita said…
I think she looks so much like you!
Isn't it amazing how much they teach you? My friends keep telling me how much of it becomes useless for the next one because they are all so different. Hang in there.
Frema said…
I agree with everything you wrote here. Especially numbers 6 & 7.

Also, you can never have too many changing pad covers! (Unless you don't have a changing pad.)
Cellomama said…
I also agree with everything you wrote - if you at least realize all these things this soon, you're doing great, mama!

Breastfeeding is HARD. I think that's why I stuck with it for so long - it took us so long to master I didn't want to give up that "accomplishment".

Tears are good - they're helping your body flush out all that extra fluid. :-)

I'm glad Steve is being such a champ. Pete was, too, and I pitied my friends who didn't have such great husbands.

Pete used to make me recite that my jobs those first six weeks were, "Rest and feed the baby." Remember that. (And staring at her adoringly counts as "rest")

Best wishes to the three of you for a relaxed and happy holidays.
Anonymous said…
I'd agree on all those counts!

Merry Christmas to you guys. I know it'll be different than you had planned but wow, what a gift she is!
Nanette said…
So, so, so sweet!
Test said…
Amen on the hubby note. What I would do without Pete.

Isn't it amazing to think she is here? How awesome. She is such a doll!
MommyLisa said…
The crying is the weird part...I try to tell all my friends now to expect the crying.

No one tells you that.

Popular posts from this blog

I should've done this a year ago....

Penguin Shenanigans

I figured it out....