Poked & Prodded

Yesterday I met with the OB Diabetes Clinic staff - well, it FELT like meeting with the whole staff. I was there for 3 1/2 hours. I met with a Diabeteologist, an RN and a Nutritionist.


I had a medical history taken, a physical exam, labs ordered, fingers pricked; I was walked through a booklet on what GD is and how it can affect me and Baby B; I learned how to use the blood testing "gear" - the meter and test strips, how to load the lancets into the thing and get them ready for action. I learned how to use the insulin pen, change the needles, etc. We talked about what I eat in a normal day, we talked about what (or how much) I should (can) eat (carbs). We made a "plan." I had three tubes of blood drawn (thyroid okay? vitamin D defincient? and something I can't remember) and then FINALLY I got to leave.

It was informative, a bit scary (I REALLY don't want to have to use insulin; I'm a wimp and afraid of stabbing myself in the side), overwhelming, etc. I feel like I eat pretty well, but I still am not producing enough insulin so there ya go. I feel frustrated that the holidays are coming up and I'm pregnant and hungry ALL THE TIME and I can't load my face with junk food (because now? that craving is coming in....wonderful). I feel guilty because I am feeling sorry for myself even though I know changing how I eat/live will be the best for me & Baby B.

Basically, I'm having a mini "woe is me" phase. (mini? you say? Yes, Mini because I'm not crying).

I find out on Friday after I submit all my NUMBERS for this week (testing blood 4 times a day, testing urine once a day) if I will need to take insulin before eating meals. I hope that I don't but so far today's numbers haven't been good (yesterday's were fine).

(This number should be LESS than 120 - doh....)

I know it's not the end of the world and this will *most likely* go away after the Chick Pea arrives (in my case, probably not - I can see that happening too); and I know I'm being a wimp and some people have to deal with this or WAY more severe things their whole lives. I'm just having my own pity party.

Comments

Sarita said…
There will always be someone who has it worse than you. You still get to feel what you are feeling.

I cried because I had no shoe, then I met a man who had no feet. And I said, "Hey man, can I have your shoes?"

GD sucks sucks sucks. Do they tell everyone that their GD probably won't go away? It seems like everyone I know with it was told that and none of them have any issues now.
carrster said…
They told me it will *most likely* go away. At the Duluth clinic they have perhaps 0-1 GD cases that do not go away after delivery so the percentage is low. Still - throw another thing for me to worry about on the pile!
Anonymous said…
Sorry honey! It's not fair, is it? Of course the upside to the insulin is that if you are going to have to stab yourself anyway, you might as well eat what you want! I'm just kidding. I know, I know, that's now how it works. At least not all the time...
Cellomama said…
I love what Sarah said - you still get to feel what you're feeling.

But I'm sure this will go away. You will get it figured out - it's only been one day. In a few more days you'll start seeing what you can/can't eat (and I'll try to make sure I have food you can eat at the shower). If worst comes to worst and you have to take insulin, I promise you'll do well. I was scared to death of all of my shots for fertility treatments, but you so get over it. In some ways it's really nice, because I'm so NOT scared of needles now it makes a lot of medical stuff a lot easier than it used to be.

One day at a time. No denying it sucks, but just for 8 more weeks. You can do it.
Test said…
Hang in there kiddo. This is when it starts to get harder and harder to control all those emotions coursing through you. Not to mention those raging hormones. Allow yourself to feel and get it out. Otherwise you will drive yourself mad.

Me thinks it will all turn out OK in the end.

Popular posts from this blog

I should've done this a year ago....

Penguin Shenanigans

I figured it out....