Pumpkin Lasagne

Here is the recipe for the pumpkin lasagne from earlier this week. It's from www.foodandwine.com - but when I searched there again, it came up with nothing...go figure...

Ingredients:
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 onions, chopped (I used about 3/4 of one onion....I'm not a HUGE fan...)
2 lbs Swiss Chard, tough stems removed, leaves washed well & chopped (I couldn't find Swiss Chard at my Cub so instead I used Spinach. It worked just fine)
2 1/4 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dried sage
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg (I used the kind from my spice rack)
3 cups canned pumpkin puree
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan
1/2 cup milk
9 no-boil lasagna noodles
1 tablespoon butter

1. In a large nonstick frying pan, heat the oil over moderately low heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Increase the heat to moderately high and add the chard (or spinach), 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, 1/2 teaspoon sage, and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg. Cook, stirring until the chard is wilted and no liquid remains in the pan, 5 to 10 minutes.

2. Heat the oven to 400 degrees. In a medium bowl, mix together 2 cups of the pumpkin, 3/4 cup cream, 1/2 cup Parmesan, and the remaining 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, 1/2 teaspoon sage, and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg.

3. Pour the milk into an 8-by-12 baking dish. Top the milk with one third of the noodles, then spread half the pumpkin mixture over the noodles. Layer half the Swiss chard over the pumpkin and top with a second layer of noodles. Repeat with another layer of pumpkin, Swiss chard, and noodles. Combine the remaining 1 cup of pumpkin and 3/4 cup of cream. Spread the mixture evenly over the top of the lasagne, sprinkle with the reamining 1 cup of Parmesan and dot with the butter*. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake until golden, about 15 minutes more.

Yield: 4 servings**

* It probably doesn't need a whole tablespoon of butter...I found the top to be a bit greasy. But I love butter so....

** This was 2 night's worth of dinner for Steve and I (and the Chick Pea) and we still had leftovers which Steve took to his Dad & Trudy. It's hefty & rich & filling. On night 2 we had garlic bread along with our salad & lasagne***

*** Sometimes the recipe says "lasagne" (in the title, for instance) sometimes it says "lasagna" - so there ya go.

ENJOY!

Comments

Meigan said…
I was all excited for this cuz it sounded like it would be a great low-fat recipe. Guess I was wrong! It still sounds divine & I could probably slim it down but it wouldn't taste as yummy. There is no such thing as a low-fat lasagna, I've discovered!

Popular posts from this blog

I should've done this a year ago....

Penguin Shenanigans

I figured it out....