The Lives of Others (2006)


The Lives of Others is quite possibly the best movie I have seen all year.

Set in the mid-80's in the former GDR, this look behind the Berlin Wall at how much the State (Stasi or State Security) affected the lives of every day people. Particularly artists. This film shows both sides of the coin and is at times disturbing and uplifting. It's so hard for me to imagine living in a society like this. Where the higher-ups and government officials goals are to keep their people supressed. To keep their thoughts only in line with what "they" think they should be. And of course the consequences if the rules are not followed. Pretty freaking scary, if you ask me.

The acting is impeccable, the story is great and I really just enjoyed this movie. And just when I would think it was getting a bit melodramtic for me, the director pulled back the reins and left just the lightest touch which had a great emotional resonance for me.

Check out this film. It definitely deserved to be recognized last year at the Academy Awards. A very fine film.

Comments

kmd said…
Thanks for the review. I will watch it for sure!
Jonathan said…
I was hugely impressed by this film, too - the director's debut! What will he do next?

http://jonathanbart.blogspot.com/2007/04/cinema-of-understatement.html

Popular posts from this blog

I should've done this a year ago....

Penguin Shenanigans

I figured it out....