Day 8: Back to Stockholm

On Saturday we all decided that it was time to head south to Stockholm. Steve & I were looking forward to having a few days to explore the capital city and also get back to the land of less light at night!

We knew it would be a long day - and we tried to prepare mentally. A lot of driving...a lot of stopping at various places of interest and for coffee...more coffee, more driving and finally back to home base.


We stopped at Stenegården for lunch. This was in a very charming and beautiful little town called Järvsö. Stenegården is an old farm which now houses shops & a restaurant. We had a buffet lunch which was quite yummy. I particularly enjoyed the lingonberry juice (sort of a theme developing for me over there - like cranberry juice but a wee bit less bitter - just as healthy though!). I also picked up a couple of gift items.

Back in the car we drove through beautiful rolling hills and forests. It was quite lovely. The forests there are so full of rocks, it's unbelievable. Apparently this was one reason that a lot of people immigrated to the US. They couldn't make a go of farming and knew of lots of wide open land in the new country. Makes sense.

I had mentioned that I would like to buy some flax/linen yarn for knitting...little did I know this would lead us to Växbo to a linen factory! It was very cool (although the factory was not running due to it being a Saturday) and I so much wanted to buy every bit of linen that I laid my hands on. Sadly, it was not in my price range (at all). I toyed with buying some remnants to make placemats or napkins out of but it was still a spendy venture so I passed. I did walk away with a really nice dish cloth...Steve thinks I'm very weird.

Another stop we made was at Skärsa which is a charming seaside village on the Baltic Sea. Apparently this was at one time definitely a "fisherman's village" but now it's more of a summer area for people with a lot of money. Only 4 fisherman still live in the town. We had ice cream here.





We also drove by Bertil & Maud's old house in Söderhamn. Very nice. We also stopped (!) at McDonalds for coffee. Apparently when you have to have it, you HAVE to have it. I had french fries. They were really good.

I think after Söderhamn we hit the road in earnest.....I can't remember and it was getting late. I tried to knit in the car to keep myself awake but after a while that didn't help much either. I think it took us about 10 hours to get back to Stockholm. Ay yi yi.

Comments

K said…
Hey Carrie - Can't any of the pics on this post for some reason.....I can see the ones from today's post and all the ones before this one - but not this one....just thought I'd let you know.
All the other pics are GORGEOUS! :) Glad you had such a great trip despite the rain.

Popular posts from this blog

I should've done this a year ago....

Penguin Shenanigans

I figured it out....