Solstice Hike 2007

Steve & I made plans a few years ago to do something - just the two of us - outdoorsy on the Solstice every year. I envisioned "date nights" well into the future, but who knows, once Chick Pea is here perhaps he/she will be included too. We'll have to play it by ear.

Last year we took a lovely picnic and wine on a hike in the Old Growth forest near Spirit Mountain along the Superior Hiking Trail. The year before that we walked on the beach and watched the sunset and the moon rise. The year before that I can't remember because I didn't blog about it (sad! but true!!).

This year we made plans to go canoeing. Wednesday night was so warm and wonderful and STILL we thought maybe JUST MAYBE it'll be like that on Thursday too.

Wrong. It was too breezy & cool. Steve mowed the yard and I washed a mountain of dishes and by time we grilled and ate it was getting late. We took the canoe and hit a couple of boat landings along the St. Louis River (in hopes it would be calmer) (which it was...but still) and decided to just hike instead.

We hiked on the Superior Hiking Trail (sound familiar?) out in Fond du Lac (a far western neighborhood of Duluth) going towards Jay Cooke State Park. It's very beautiful. I had not hiked this section before.

I hate it when hunters shoot holes in signs for hikers. It is rude. Not to mention intimidating and violent. Hmph. Plus NO HUNTING in this area, a-holes.


Steve along the trail:


Just two hikers, enjoying the long day:


The sun stayed much longer once we got to the top:


Even so, my watch says 8:50pm:




Comments

Peder said…
It looks very beautiful. I'd find gunshots in the hiking sign intimidating too. What jerks!
kmd said…
Gosh! That's really nasty of those gun guys! Total jerks.

I love how you two get out and enjoy nature together. It's fabulous. I bet you can't wait for little chick pea to join you!
Test said…
More beautiful pictures. Dang, I need to get out of the city.

Really, what is the purpose of firing at the sign for heaven's sake. Childlike behavior from gun carrying members of society...hmmm.

Popular posts from this blog

I should've done this a year ago....

Penguin Shenanigans

I figured it out....