Pre-Gardening

To celebrate Earth Day last Saturday, I had intended on participating in the city's "Clean & Green" program with Miss M (my mentee). Saturday rolled around, however, and we found ourselves to be deluged in April Showers. And very cool temps. So instead of chucking the whole idea out the window, I enlisted Miss M to help me start my seeds...which we did inside.


We planted peppers, mini-pumpkins, spearmint, rosemary, marigolds, ornamental grass and two kinds of sunflowers.

The most fun, however, was digging in the dirt. At first I thought Miss M was going to chicken out and use the little shovel the whole time...but I didn't push her and as I got my hands dirty - slowly but surely - so did she! By the end of our planting session she said "I just LOVE digging in the dirt." I'm hoping this leads to more joint gardening projects this summer. I am looking forward to tending to this plants with her and watching our hard work produce some great results! Right now the trays are all in my front porch which is acting as a sunroom/greenhouse.




We still have more planting to do - carrots, green beans, peas, beets, zuchini, oregano, and tomatoes (but I learned my lesson and will be starting those from plants, not seeds!).

Comments

Test said…
what a great way to spend some time w/ Miss M. I was just walking around the gardens today thinking about what I want to plant. Looking at your post, I'm going to make a list tomorrow and get things ready for the 'harvest'. I love being able to eat straight out of the garden :)
kmd said…
Yes, you've got me excited, too. Today was the warmest Spring day we've had yet. It was fabulous!
African Kelli said…
Think of the important lessons you are teaching her!

Popular posts from this blog

I should've done this a year ago....

Penguin Shenanigans

I figured it out....