Thoughts on the Circus


I went to the Circus tonight with my mentee, Miss M. I have some thoughts....

1) I don't think I can go to circuses any more.

2) Monkeys, albeit incredibly adorable while dressed up, are SUPPOSED to jump from high thing to high thing in the air. It's not that "amazing" or "outstanding." Cute? Yes. But it also makes me sad that they're jumping from pole to pole instead of treet to tree.

3) All of the lovely ladies of Eastern Europen descent were not only the aerial artists (some of which is pretty cool, others just kind of sad...) also manned the "rides" before, at intermission and after the circus. Spinning by your neck one minute, placing a giant snake around a patron's neck for a $7 polaroid the next. Also leading tiny ponies & air brushing "tattoos" on people's faces.


4) The big cats were gorgeous but also looked TOTALLY pissed off to have Yurgey snapping that whip at them. I don't blame them.

5) During the metal sphere of death w/motor bike finale, the aforementioned Eastern European do-it-all ladies paraded out in black & white hot pants/racing outfits to the tune of GIRLS GIRLS GIRLS while carrying large American flags. Um, WHAT? When did motorsports begin to symbolize America (don't answer that...)?

6)I am apparently the worst mentor on the face of the earth because I didn't by Miss M a blinky plastic made-in-China tchotke. I'm sorry I have seen her house and it doesn't need more plastic crap that will be broken and/or not played with by Saturday. That and I'm sort of broke right now and I couldn't justify spending another $7 on that stuff. I guess I didn't get that stuff when I was a kid and just don't see the point. Am I heartless? She didn't really even ask/beg for anything (just mini-donuts to which I acquiesed) but when we saw her brother & sister later with their mentors they both had blinky, spinny light up thingys and her older sister (age 13) said "Oh, you didn't GET anything?" Somehow that just made me feel about 1 inch tall.

Some of Miss M's comments were "From here all we can see are their butts" (referring to the aerial artists); "Clowns are TOTALLY FREAKY. If the circus was all about clowns I would NEVER come." "I'd rather have my picture taken with that giant snake than with that FREAKY clown." and "They're really not wearing very much."\

(but the ANIMALS. I could go on and on about how sad the animals seemed to me. I never thought I would get to where I was tonight but it was really quite heartbreaking. Do you think they'd miss an elephant or two if I tried to steal one tonight to bring it home? (and then take it back to Africa, naturally....))

Comments

Peder said…
I read a book a few years back called 'Tribe of the Tiger' which comprared house cats to their big (wild) cousins. The book had a section on circus animals versus zoo animals and it suggested that circus animals live longer and better lives because they have jobs and daily stimulation.
Sarah and I were discussing circuses the other day and both of us had very underwhelmed memories of them from when we were young.
kmd said…
I don't like circuses anymore after hearing so many horror stories of how the animals are treated. I don't care much for zoos either!
African Kelli said…
I have to agree with Miss M. But you are a champ for showing her a different side of life. Perhaps the zoo next time!
carrster said…
Miss M definitely enjoyed the circus - and I used to. I used to be oddly fascinated by them and the people who travel with them/run them....but this time it just seemed to....sad. Especially the animals!

Popular posts from this blog

I should've done this a year ago....

Penguin Shenanigans

I figured it out....