Walking on Water

Well frozen water anyway.

It's not every year that even part of the lake (Superior, that is) freezes over. This year it's been COLD and the lake is freezing (it only completely freezes over about once every 15 years or so...I think the last time was in 1995/96. Incidentally the last winter I lived in Duluth before moving to California! ha)

Yesterday, Steve, his brother Paul & I went walking on the lake. It was...freaky. The ice is about 10-12 inches thick and you can see cracks on various levels as you look down. In some places it it black - it looks like you're walking on nothing. An abyss (freaky). In other places it looks like the ripples on the lake just stopped, mid-motion. In some places the ice is formed of separate pieces that have overlapped to form the solid sheet...like an ice collage.

It was cold. We walked a couple miles probably - the wind chill was nasty. But it was well worth the unique experience. There are lots of ice houses out this year, there are people skating, taking photos, walking their dogs, playing hockey - we even saw two people biking on the lake! It's amazing. Sometimes I am overwhelmed by the unique beauty of our planet.









Comments

aksunflour said…
Wow! That is so impressive. I never considered that Lake Superior could even partially freeze over- it is so deep. I'll have to share this w/my family. As we are from Duluth.
Anonymous said…
Great photos, Carrie. So beautiful!
K said…
Oh my!! That is truly beautiful and amazing.....I can't imagine! Very cool to hear what winter is like in different parts of the country.... :)
Kris said…
OK, am aksunflour's sis and WOW. Mum said our aunt said it was cold with no snow, but seeing it is so much more than just hearing about it. (our Grandma used to live on Skyline Pkwy.) My aunt said they had to create snow for some snowmachine races Duluth had! Hope your heaters and thermostat's are fixed!!!! BRRRR. And may it warm up soon!
carrster said…
Thanks! It's really beautiful although it was "warm" yesterday so I would be more jumpy about getting out on the lake. I'd hate to break off and float away (no real chance of that yet but with my luck....).

Still no real SNOW in Duluth to speak of. BORING BROWN WINTER. Blech. There's talk of a snow storm in our future but i'm not holding my breath (although I'd love a big blizzard where we get snowed in!!)

Popular posts from this blog

I should've done this a year ago....

Penguin Shenanigans

I figured it out....