I talk too much

I went to a new knitting group at my neighbor's house last night (hi anna!) and really just need to work on how much I talk. I mean to keep myself in check and I mean to just sit back and take everything in but by the end of the night I am just hating myself for the constant chatter I think that I am responsible for providing. Sheesh. I think it's because I get nervous in new situations and I want to appear "cool" or whatever and I just end up coming off as the biggest dork ever, which I am. And then the next day I feel yucky about it. Having wine DOES NOT help these situations and I did pretty good on that front (only 2 1/2 glasses in 3 hours) but I need to improve. I don't need to send potential new friends SCREAMING from me because I am so annoying.

*sigh*

Comments

kmd said…
Carrie, you are too hard on yourself. I'm sure everyone appreciated your talking!
Anonymous said…
I often feel the exact same way, but sometimes, especially with this one group of friends, I just feel like someone needs to talk because everyone gets all quiet. Then I beat myself up the next day thinking how I should just shut my mouth. But they keep inviting me back, so it must be ok, right?
Cellomama said…
I feel the same way all the time. Usually in two main situations: with my family or with groups of other Moms. Isn't that odd? Both the people I've known my whole life and those I've just met seem to be the ones that give me a verbal hangover the next day. I agree alcohol can make it worse. I don't allow myself more than 1 drink at family events now, and that helps a lot. As for the other Mom groups, I am just hoping that as I get to know them better I will quit rambling.

Seeing that I've known you for about 2 decades now I can honestly say that I have never once thought this about you. Of course, it could be because I'm too busy talking to let you get a word in edgewise. :-)
Test said…
I too feel the same way but like Donna says, they keep inviting poeple like us back. Perhaps they really appreciate the fact that you generate conversations :)

I hope you think of it as a gift, that you have the ability to make friends and chat with new people rather than sit quietly and let the world pass you by.
K said…
Oh Carrie - I agree with Kelli! I feel like I talk a lot too (and write a lot sometimes :)). It's part of your personality and it's what people like about you. Everyone has to be different - otherwise we'd be boring! Embrace the talking part that is you - it's part of what makes you special! :)
Sarita said…
I have the opposite problem, though I am getting better. I have always thought I sucked at small talk, so I just kept my mouth shut. That lead to people thinking I was "unfriendly". I have always admired how outgoing you are. Don't worry about it. I agree that being invited back means that you are not overdoing anything.

Popular posts from this blog

I should've done this a year ago....

Penguin Shenanigans

I figured it out....