Prognosis

Well, the prognosis is not good.

My grandma has about 3 weeks (or now less....) to live. *sigh* Her lung cancer (non-smoker, btw) is spreading very rapidly and she's elected to forgo treatment. She's at home on oxygen. She's surrounded by a lot of family (she has 9 children) and although she's weak and tired she's not in pain. Thankfully. My Dad (eldest son) and some other siblings are getting together today to figure out hospice care although my grandma would like to stay at home for as long as possible.

It's strange when something like this is so inevitable. When it stares you straight in the eye and in a way you're waiting for it. It's hard and uncomfortable and I don't like it one bit. I also don't want her to suffer and I know that when she's ready to go we all have to let her go. It still sucks.

My family is very close. We're loud and exuberant and (obnoxious) and loving. Always there for one another; always pitching in or supporting in whatever way it's needed. We get together several times during the year for various "events" - whether it's the 4th of July celebrations, the Golf Tournament, Christmas, Thanksgiving, someone's wedding or anniversary or significant birthday.....I think my family is going to have a very hard time when she's gone. She's the anchor.

Oh and we're criers. I've never seen as big of criers in my life! We wear our hearts on our sleeves and I guess that's not all bad.

*sigh*

Comments

African Kelli said…
Oh man Carrie. I wish I was there to give you a big hug. I'm so sorry for your loss!
K said…
Oh Carrie. I'm so sorry. My great aunt died last year of lung cancer (non smoker too) - how unfair!! I know that Hospice will do well by your grandma - they are a comforting group of people. My thoughts are with your family......
Raesha D said…
I'm glad you could be with your family at this difficult time. I'm sending good thoughts and prayers your way.
Anonymous said…
Please forgive me for not being online much lately. I am so sorry to hear about your grandmother. So very sorry.

Thinking of you and your whole family.

Popular posts from this blog

I should've done this a year ago....

Penguin Shenanigans

I figured it out....