An Anniversary


Today is the 3-year anniversary of me being a home owner. I bought my 1896 story-and-a-half house in 2003. That is hard to believe. I closed on a Friday and had the afternoon off at my new house alone before my parents & my friend Sarah came up to help me move in the next day. I remember very vividly the feeling of parking in the garage and opening the back gate to MY back yard. Walking up to the back door and inserting my brand new key into my very own door. I remember just wandering from room to room marvelling at the fact that I owned this! I owned everything! (well, me & the bank....). I own that faucet! I own that mirror. I own that nasty carpet on the floor. I own those god-awful drapes. I own the cute little front porch and the skinny hall leading to my new bedroom. I own the bird bath in the back yard and every blade of grass. It's an amazing and daunting feeling. It was something that I'm very proud of myself for doing by myself. Well, my Dad did help me with the purchase agreement and gave the house his seal-of-approval before my purchase...but everything else was me, and that makes me happy.

That being said, I will look forward to the day when my husband and I (saying that isi getting more natural, by the way) will walk through potential future homes together; when we will fret over the possibilities and the list of priorities and decide together on a new space for US and our future family.

But for now...I'm happy to call my house home.

Only 27 years to go on that loan.....

Comments

African Kelli said…
Aw, man! You are so sweet. Thank you! I think that is probably the nicest thing anyone has ever said about me.

My inspiration -- Flickr. I often cruise for photos of projects I'd like to try. Yarnstorm for sure. Craftapalooza always has great ideas and sweet Australian whit.
And you, of course.
Sarita said…
I know. That feeling of "this is all mine" (for better or worse) is amazing and kind of weird.
I bought our house 3 years ago last July 14th, and decided to to put off celebration until January 14th. That's when the second mortgage disappears!

Popular posts from this blog

I should've done this a year ago....

Penguin Shenanigans

I figured it out....