Review

The screening was weird….

I got to Jason’s at about 6:10 so we could have a glass of wine before going to the theater We were testing the DVD and our lovely moment of relaxation was ruined because the DVD WOULDN’T PLAY! Wonderful. It’d get to a certain point and it would freeze up and then start jumping around. So not cool. Commence freaking out. We decided to take the DVD’s (we had a few versions/copies) and get to the space so we could check it there. We did and it worked there for some reason – we tested the whole DVD just to make sure. This did not ease any knots in my stomach OR make my body temperature return to a normal level. Sheesh.

We had about 35 people or so – about what we thought. We watched the film – not a ton of laughs, but a few. There are still some things that I think are hilarious and no one laughs at them. There was a section of the film where the sound was off by a few frames, don’t know why but that was frustrating and annoying. I had to fix that at lunchtime so we can make another DVD for tomorrow. Afterwards we invited people to Red Star (martini bar) for Q&A, drinks, hanging out (it was about 9:20pm at this point – so not terribly late) and NO ONE CAME! (SOUND FAMILIAR?) In fact there were a great number of people that didn’t talk to me/us at all! Hmmm, I don’t think that’s a good sign. I can say about 3 people for sure loved it (first timers, that is) and other than that I really have no idea. I don’t think people liked it all that much. I know this is a movie for 1 in 10 but it’s still weird.

So, Steve, me, J&O went to Red Star. We hooked up with a guy from the McKnight Foundation – (long story) he’s a filmmaker and was in town giving some information about the McKnight fellowships (2 $25k grants for filmmakers, for Minnesota filmmakers) and having a ‘reception’ at Red Star afterwards. We met him last year and he is very cool so we joined him and one other documentarian (we also met her last November). That was fun the 6 of us hung out and drank martinis and smoked cigarettes. It was exciting to have a film conversation in Duluth! It was good networking. J’s applying for that grant this year. Only about 45-55 people apply each year – those are excellent odds!!

I had a crantini and also a beer and I felt like crap. I think I fell asleep at home in 2.5 seconds. Steve was downstairs eating some Taco Johns, I could hear him taking the stuff out of the bag and BAM I was out. I don’t remember him coming to bed at all. I had a headache today.

I feel sort of – eh, about the whole screening. I just wonder why people didn’t stick around or even say hello to me (some people). It’s a disconcerting feeling. I understand not wanting to discuss a film right after seeing it. I don’t like doing that at all and I’m generally not hanging out with the filmmakers. I get the fact that it takes a while so soak in and it needs to be thought about. All I’m asking for is a “hello” or a “thanks for the invite.” I don’t understand people.

And we get to do it again tomorrow! With more people! I am going to be a nervous wreck. I believe 10:30am is too early to start drinking wine.

*Sigh*

Comments

It may be too early for wine, but you always have options - mimosas or bloody marys for example. :-)

Sorry that people were weird. You are right that it was rude to not even say hello. Darn people!

Popular posts from this blog

I should've done this a year ago....

Penguin Shenanigans

I figured it out....