O! Canada!

Well, I'm back!

What an amazing week.

We flew out on float planes (!) (3 of them!!) on Monday morning. The weather was good in Duluth which was sort of a shock. We landed in Sand Point, Ontario to go through Customs. It's basically a dock on the side of the lake across from Minnesota. It's SOOOOOO beautiful. The weather was very warm and it was quite nice to hang out for a bit. We bought our Canadian fishing licenses there and any souvenirs people wanted this was the spot. Unfortunately the weather at camp (1 hour 15 minutes away) was nasty. So we hung out longer than expected. No problem! We were sitting on a dock! In the middle of of a lake! In Canada! On a Monday! It was sunny! No problem whatsoever.

We got into camp around 3:30. It was great. My cabin was awesome. It's called the "family cabin." Two bedrooms, a living room, porch, bathroom (shower stall, tub/shower, toilet), 2 sinks - it was very lovely.

There is a dining room/lounge area - with the most complete liquor cabinet I have ever seen. The meals were incredible and served on this giant round table (seats 12) with a big lazy susan in the middle. The food is brought out and sits there and you spin the wheel to pass things. Very cool (and kinda fun).

The days were spent fishing. Who knew I would dig it so much? I caught walleye after walleye and even was *brave* enough to bait my own hook (minnows - I felt bad about killing them). I did not, however, remove any fish from my hook. Baby steps, people, baby steps.

One day we did a fly out. A fly out on the fly in! Crazy! The fish there were HUGE. The first one out of the lake that day was 28". Not too shabby! (not caught by me, btw). We had packed lunches and coolers full of beer or pop or whatever. It was so nice.

The evenings were spent (well, after appetizers, cocktails and dinner) on the pontoon, or reading on the swing or just relaxing. Some people played pool or watched movies but I liked just sitting out on the dock, soaking it all in. I wish Steve could've been with me.

The lake is totally remote. You can get there only by float plane. And there's basically NOTHING else on it. It's now part of a provincial park so this particular camp has been "grandfathered" in. Very cool. I've never been on a lake where there isn't 'stuff' everywhere!! Fantastic.

The Northern Lights even danced for us on Tuesday night. A bunch of the guys were from Missouri and had never seen them and were very very excited about them. It was fun just to observe.

So, yeah, I'm back....it was awesome and now I'm trying to get used to reality again!!

Pictures to follow....

Comments

Peder said…
Carrie, it sounds like a great time!

Popular posts from this blog

I should've done this a year ago....

Penguin Shenanigans

I figured it out....