Sin City

I went to this film on opening night – which is unlike me. These days I’m usually renting the “hottest” thing when it comes out on video – way after the fact. But a friend called me up and invited me out and since I’m trying to shed my anti-social persona I said “sure.”

I had seen and read very little about this movie. I knew it was getting some hype. I had seen ½ of a trailer for it. So I went online and started reading some reviews to educate myself a little bit more.

I found the movie to be….interesting. I would say I liked it better than Kill Bill Vol. 1 but I found it similar in a lot of respects. Mostly the gratuitous violence bits. I loved the comic-book quality (sorry graphic novel) of the film. I had read that they storyboarded the shots painstakingly as to replicate them as close to the graphic novel as possible. This was evident (especially in the first story) and fun to watch for. I loved the gravelly quality of the actor’s voices. I thought Benecio del Toro was once again f’ing fantastic and scary as hell. Mickey Rourke too was totally transformed and interesting to watch.

Without ruining anything, the hardest part of the film to watch took place in a small cell between two people. A conversation describing recent events. My brain is obviously sicker than anything they can legally show on the screen. *shudder*

I didn’t love this movie – but I thought it was great to look at and interesting to think about. It was fun to see something other than the usual mundane blockbuster crap on the screen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I should've done this a year ago....

Penguin Shenanigans

I figured it out....