Holiday Homes Tour

Today I tried really hard to get into the Christmas spirit - it's working a little bit...

First the Boy and I put up Christmas lights. Some "icicles" along the top of the porch and some red & green lights in a tree in the backyard. The icicle lights were fresh out of the box (I bought them last year just after Christmas for $1.99 and still almost went out and bought more because I forget...) and look rather stupid because they're not hanging down...they're all clumped up even though we did try to pull them down. Oh well. We did get to hang out on the roof which was fun - but COLD. It's cold today - 17 maybe with a nasty nasty wind chill. Brrrrrr *shiver* The tree in the backyard needs more lights...but it's a start. We also have to pick up some white lights for the funky bushes/trees in front of the porch...as the ones I used last year are now permanently in the living room and bedroom. Oh well. I love lights!

Then SBH and I went on the Historic Homes Tour and Holiday High Tea. We went last year too and loved it so went again this year. It's a tour of some gorgeous old B&B's here in Duluth. Some are quaint and homey and Victorian; Others are huge mansions with winding walnut staircases which are intricately carved and begging me to come down them in some big ball gown or wedding dress....I just imagine the daughter in the house coming down the stairs to meet her suitor - it's so wonderful. There's a little something to eat at each house (gingerbread with pear compote, chicken satay with peanut sauce; cranberry TO-DIE-FOR bread with butter sauce; salmon & rosettes and turkey/wildrice salad on croissants) and music - guitars, accordians, hammered dulcimer, carollers...it's quite lovely. I thoroughly enjoyed it. We saw 3 new houses this year - but our favorites remain the same. The 2 mansions - The Cotton Mansion ; The Olcott House ; Check them out. The other houses are listed here. That is one thing I love about Duluth - the beautiful, old mansions. *sigh* Definitely relics of an era long past......but it's fun to think about!

Tonight - we're off to J's house to watch The Life and Death of Peter Sellers - I'm SO EXCITED!! I have been waiting for this movie for ages....I can't wait.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I should've done this a year ago....

Penguin Shenanigans

I figured it out....