April 21, 2004
“Administrative Professional’s Day”

…or as it was once called Secretary’s Day. But of course, that is no longer a politically correct term, even though we as a society have mutated the meaning and ‘stature’ of the word….the word has always remained the same.

I am one of these administrative professionals or gasp secretaries. It’s funny to me that we think if you add professional to our title we’ll feel better, more worthy or something. And to some extent it’s true. I prefer administrative assistant to professional but whatever. And although I do know that I basically am a secretary, it is at times embarrassing and/or degrading to hear myself being referred to as that. Logically I can’t figure out why, I guess the negative-connotation that has built up around words like Stewardess, Waitress, and Secretary has infected at least some part of my brain.

We in the ranks of the field of administratio know that without us companies would fold. Files would be lost, conference calls & flights never arranged, egos never soothed, coffee never made and annoying phone calls from sales reps would be left unfielded. I don’t mind what I do. It’s not what I intended my life career to be but I respect the fact that I have a good, fairly-secure, well-paying job with a kick ass boss. I know that because of these things I can have my new house, my relatively new car and continue to work on my first feature film.

It still BUGS me though when I see “kids” in their young 20’s coming right out of school with their fancy business or accounting degrees and the looks of distaste coming my way. I want to stand up and scream I HAVE MY OWN COMPANY; I TAUGHT MYSELF HOW TO EDIT DIGITAL MEDIA; I AM PRODUCING MY THIRD FILM. I AM WORTHY.

Now why is that? Complex?

Anyway – to all you slaves of the cubicals….Happy Administrative Professionals’ Day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I should've done this a year ago....

Penguin Shenanigans

I figured it out....