Iko

Our beautiful & sweet furry friend Iko passed away at 12:50am on Tuesday, July 10th. It was very very heartbreaking. Both Steve & I knew that his passing was imminent on Monday night. Iko's breathing had become labored, he was more lethargic than he had been and he just didn't look "right." We sat with him for hours in the kitchen - us on the floor, he on his little blanket which had become his "spot" as of late. We told him how sweet of a kitty he is and how much we loved him and we petted him and tried to make him comfortable when it seemed he was not.

I went to bed shortly after midnight and Steve remained in the kitchen with Iko. At 12:50 Steve yelled up to me that Iko had died. I hurried downstairs to be with them both...Iko was still moving (reflexes?) when I got there. We covered him up and after crying and hugging and talking about him for a while we made him a bed in a box and put him inside.

Yesterday we drove to Restlawn Pet Cemetary where he will be cremated. That was so hard to do. So incredibly hard to leave a much loved pet there when you know what the results will be.

Already our house seems much different. Emptier, quieter, sadder. There is a hole, a void. Even Beavis is confused - it seems as though he is constantly looking for Iko. Checking out all of Iko's "spots" in the yard, trying to figure out when his friend is going to come home. It all sucks.

It's very hard to lose a pet. Very hard. I hate it. But I am grateful for all the wonderful memories I have with him. And Steve, who's had Iko since just before he graduated from high school is very upset by this but is also grateful and will take with him many wonderful memories.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm so sorry to hear about this. But he had a great life with Steve and you and Beavis and he knew how much you loved him and that is just about the best we can do for our pets.
African Kelli said…
Oh Carrie. Darn it! Yet another time I so wish I was there to scoop you up and take you for ice cream and give you a hug. Please know you and Steve remain in my thoughts!
Raesha D said…
I'm so sorry! I know in my heart though that these sweet creatures will be waiting for us in heaven. And I know he's frolicking just like a young kitten with my two sweet Siamese kitties that are there too:) I'm so sorry...I know how heartbreaking it is to lose a pet.
Test said…
I am so sorry to hear that Iko has passed on and for the void that he leaves. He knew he was loved all the way through his life and you know he loved you both back. Please know give yourself a hug from me and send one to Steve from me as well.
Peder said…
So very sorry. I'm sure Iko felt very loved.
Anonymous said…
I'm so sorry about the puppy. :( I shudder to think...

But congrats on the chick pea and trip to Sweeden. :)
Anonymous said…
I'm an idiot...sorry about the kitty :\

Popular posts from this blog

I should've done this a year ago....

Penguin Shenanigans

I figured it out....